12/7/07 – 1/15/08
Please scan this list of “headlines” and if there’s something of interest, do read the full story.
Breaking news from the Legal Advocacy Fund
Important things are happening in LAF in North Carolina. To acknowledge the first case LAF has adopted from North Carolina and the first LAF speaker in North Carolina since 2003, we have established a $500 challenge grant (from donors, not AAUW NC) and encourage branches and individuals to make contributions to LAF by April 1. Please notify the AAUW NC Fundraising Chair Lill Van Order, firstname.lastname@example.org, if you send in a gift as part of this challenge — all contributors will be acknowledged at the convention in Greensboro. See https://svc.aauw.org/contribute/laf.cfml, login to the Member Services Database and use the contribution form there, or send your check through your branch or directly to the AAUW Development Office, P.O. Box 630832, Baltimore, MD 21263-0832. Please help us meet this challenge!
- Kristen Galles to speak at NCCU, Jan. 22 (01/10/08) – Come hear this member of attorney advisory committee of LAF speak about the history of case selection and current cases.
- VCR Alert: LAF on NBC News on Thursday (01/15/08) – A plaintiff from California is being interviewed as part of a series on pay equity.
- Jennings v. UNC-CH is settled (01/15/08) – Ms. Jennings will receive payment from the University to cover “most” of her legal fees. This first case with a North Carolina plaintiff may set a new standard for dealing with sexual harassment in sports.
AAUW NC News
- Dec. 2007 Message to Branch Presidents (12/31/07) – key items for your consideration
- Toolkit Collection (12/18/07) – are you using all you might be from the resources of AAUW and AAUW NC?
- Feedback request: the AAUW NC Newsletter (01/10/08) – help us guide the team that will pick up from the irreplaceable Marty Folsom
- Feedback request: Young Advocates Project (01/10/08) – how is your branch participating in this signature project of AAUW NC
- 2007 Advocacy Accomplishments (12/17/07) – together we go far. Review the results of our efforts in 2007
- NGCP December and January e-newsletters (01/05/08) – webinars and more
- Once more with feeling – RSS (01/05/08) – do consider how to add this tool to your kit to stay up to date with all manner of news
Do you want to get these messages in “real time” but don’t want to keep checking the web? You can use an “rss reader” to watch the announcements, but if you don’t want to make that leap, look for the “Get updates by e-mail” link in the “Join the Discussion” section near the bottom of the grey, right-hand column. Click that, then enter your e-mail address and click “Subscribe”, and you’ll get them as they are posted.
See https://history.aauwnc.org/a-gentle-introduction-to-rss/ for more about RSS. See http://aauw.org/rss for the RSS feeds on the new aauw.org.
Starting with July, 2007, you can find back issues of this newsletter at http://news.aauwnc.org/category/e-newsletters/ and subscribe to that through an RSS feed.
If you’d like to add your branch news to this system, see this article. See also the branch websites (some with headlines) at https://history.aauwnc.org/branch-news. If there are updates to the branch website addresses, please send them to me.