Who we are:
A group of women and men who work in North Carolina to carry out the mission of the American Association of University Women, AAUW — advancing equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, philanthropy, and research.
What we do:
In communities across the state we
- work with girls (and boys!) in the schools to improve education through projects from distributing books to elementary school students to working with high school girls to integrate math and science into a fitness program
- raise funds to support local scholarships, community projects, and the advocacy, education and research priorities of the national AAUW
- collaborate with other members of the NC Women United coalition to support each others’ legislative agendas
- support the coalition work of NC Voters for Clean Elections and Action for Children
- work with the WAGE project to bring negotiating skills workshops to NC campuses
- support the National Girls Collaborative Project by publicizing its database and executing girls and STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) projects.
To learn more:
- Check www.aauw.org for information on the national efforts that underly much of our work
- Look for a branch contact in your area and call or e-mail to find out what, specifically, that group is accomplishing
- Review the state newsletters for an overview of what we’ve been doing
- Check our headlines (all, public policy, or the other topics mentioned in the right-hand menu).
- Join us at one of our events.