Some information in the state newsletter or the president’s packets was incorrect or unclear. We’ll post the errata here. If you’ve got questions or note other errors, please let us know.
The Tar Heel News instructions were based on the hotel information, and as of last week the hotel says that they are correct. However, the new Greensboro Urban Loop was opened a few weeks ago, and the signage on I-40 is changing. This road is not yet displayed on Google maps and similar mapping utilities, so if you are not familiar with Greensboro, please be careful and review these instructions. The new road does not affect those coming from the south (Charlotte) on I-85. As noted below, the change when coming from the west (Winston-Salem) is to stay on Business 40, not I-40 (which is the new road). For those coming from the east (Raleigh) here are two suggestions.
- On the east side of Greensboro, after the Mt. Hope Church Rd exit, there are two very large exits. The first is a left exit (now marked I-85/I-40 to Charlotte)–DO NOT take that. Stay to the right, on Business 40 (to Greensboro). Then follow either of these:
- Option 1:
- Take the next exit onto I-840 (to US 70)
- Exit onto US-70 west (towards Greensboro)
- Follow US-70 past the US-29 intersection, and take a left at the next light onto E. Lindsay St.
- Take Lindsay St. into downtown Greensboro, cross Elm St. and make the next left onto Greene St.
- Hotel is on the left
- Option 2:
- Stay on Business 40 to Exit 37/Old Exit 125 (Elm/Eugene St.). Make a right
- Follow Elm/Eugene and stay straight to continue on Eugene when the roads split
- Right on Bellemeade St.
- Left on Greene St.
- Hotel is on the right.
- Either Option 1 or Option 2 (after I-85 splits from what is now Business 40) are well marked and show up on Google maps.
- A new section of I-40 has opened recently that may be unfamiliar to some of you. The directions in the Tar Heel News are correct. However, just to clarify: if coming from the west (Winston-Salem), do take Business 40 into Greensboro. If coming from the south (Charlotte) take I-85 to Exit 320 (Business 85/Greensboro). If coming from Raleigh, take I40-W/I85-S to Exit 37/Old Exit 125 (Elm/Eugene St.). Hotel Information and Directions.
- In some places the deadline for the hotel is given as March 17. However, the actual deadline is March 18. There’s no harm in being early! Make your reservations today!
- The presenter at the Saturday session, 3:30 – 5:30, will be Anthony Hill, member of the Association board. He’ll be assisted by South Atlantic Regional Director Carol Newnam.
4/20 update: unfortunately Mr. Hill was in an accident on Friday, 4/18, and was unable to attend convention after all. Thanks to Carol Newnam for filling in, and we wish Anthony well and hope he’ll be able to meet the members in NC at some future event.
- The memorial service will remember those members who have died since the 2007 (not 2006) convention.
- Parking at the Marriott is not free (as it says on page 7 of the newsletter). Hotel guests registering as part of the AAUW group will be charged $7 for a pass that it is good for unlimited access during their stay. The regular fee is $10/day, so be sure to confirm the parking cost when you register. There is a parking deck at 220 N. Greene St. (the hotel address is 305 N. Greene St.) – parking is $.50/hr; free after 6 p.m. and on weekends.