AAUW awarded more than $3,000,000 in fellowships and grants this year, and North Carolina is fortunate to have eight recipients of AAUW Fellowships and Grants in the state for 2009-2010:
- May May Leung, Ph.D., Public Health UNC-Chapel Hill
- Hollie Mann, Ph. D., Political Theory, UNC-Chapel HIll
- Rosemarie Stremlau, Postdoctoral research, American History, UNC Pembroke
- Emily Potter, M.P.H, Public Health, UNC-Chapel Hill
Community Action Grant:
- The Achievement Academy, Gayle Erdheim, Durham
- Kimberly Francis, Ph.D. Music History, Musicology and Theory, UNC-Chapel Hill (from Canada)
Selected Professions Fellowships:
- Peggy Charneco, M.B.A, Duke University
- Neeta Kirpalani, M.B.A, Wake Forest Univ.
Donations from AAUW members in North Carolina and around the country have made these fellowships and grants possible. Here is how the endowments of special interest to North Carolina are being used:
- Elizabeth A. Colton endowment is supporting Yvonne Empson, M.S. Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.
- Ellen Black Winston endowment is supporting Neeta Kirpalani.
- Shirley S. and Karl S. Quisenberry endowment is supporting Hollie Mann.
- Sandy Bernard/Alice Ann Leidel endowment is supporting Shilarna Stokes, Ph.D., Drama/Theatre Arts at Columbia Univ.
- Rosalynd Nix Gilliat International Fellowship is supporting Kimberly Francis.
- L. Adelaide and M. Elizabeth Johnson, Beth Norris, Enola G. Retheford, Stine J. Schaffmeyer and two other research and project endowments are supporting Emily Potter.
- The North Carolina Golden Annivesary and four other research and project endowments are supporting the grant to the Achievement Academy.
- Leung, Stemlau and Charneco are being supported with endowments raised by other states.
For more details on the scholars, the projects or the history of support by the endowments, see the online directory of fellowship and grant recipients.
AAUW North Carolina is currently focusing on two endowments that have not yet raised enough money to be stipend producing. We’d appreciate your support in completing:
- Ann Chipley American Fellowship, #4051. [$53,934.30 of a required $100,000 raised as of 5/31/09. Deadline: 2016.]
- Charlotte Branch Research and Projects Fund, #1429. [$24,462.5 of a required $35,000 raised as of 5/31/09. Deadline: 2014]
For more information on the options for supporting AAUW with your charitable contributions see this diagram of the different AAUW funds, and this summary of the different funds.
If you’d like to ensure the continuation of these awards and AAUW’s other philanthropic efforts, you’ll find a quick online donation form at aauw.org — or just click the “Donate” you’ll find on the AAUW home page.